AHEAD maintains five Standing Committees that expand organizational capacity and deepen member engagement. Any member who wishes to serve on a Standing Committee is welcome to contact the Chair to learn more about current goals and opportunities for involvement.
Standing Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
Chaired by Melanie Thornton, University of Arkansas CURRENTS, email@example.com
- Download the Safe Space Word Cloud here
- Purpose and Initial Charge – In accordance with AHEAD’s definition of diversity, the Standing Committee on Diversity exists to develop awareness among members and the association in general about diversity in relation to all aspects of the association, its business, members and practices; to assess means through which the association is represented and inclusive of diversity; to foster inclusion of all members within the association equally and with equity; to ensure that association events and activities are inclusive and responsive to needs of diverse constituencies; to evaluate member resources for sensitivity; to provide members with resources to promote inclusive environments for all students in college and university communities but especially students with disabilities.
Standing Committee on Member Development
Chaired by Marcelle Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose & Initial Charge – The Standing Committee on Member Development exists to evaluate means to expand the general membership of AHEAD; recommend new constituencies and vehicles to engage prospective members with the association; develop and recommend methods to incorporate international members and potential international members or groups into the fabric of AHEAD; recommend ways to promote upward career mechanisms for disability service professionals; and work to foster connections with and expansion of the AHEAD Affiliates Program. In addition to identifying member groups, this Standing Committee should address methods to mentor new members, evaluate and recommend resources needed by members collaborating with other Standing Committees on development of same, evaluate and recommend changes to the SIG structure, and other aspects of AHEAD’s functioning that intersect with all members or potential member groups. Visit the Standing Committee on Member Development page.
Standing Committee on Professional Development
Chaired by Margaret Camp, email@example.com
- Purpose and Initial Charge – The Standing Committee on Professional Development exists to evaluate and develop/recommend means to address and foster professional competency of AHEAD members; review and recommend methodologies used for professional development; explore collaborative professional development offerings with other entities to include colleges and universities and other professional organizations; assess association resources used for dissemination of professional information and make recommendations as appear appropriate. This committee will function to augment, support and inform the work of the association’s staff member responsible for overseeing the direct implementation and management of all professional development initiatives. The committee will consult with and collaborate with other Standing Committees and the general Board of Directors to fulfill its mission. You can review the Standing Committee on Professional Development videos by visiting our video page here.
Standing Committee on Public Policy
Chaired by Scott Lissner, Ohio State University, Lissner.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose and Initial Charge – The Standing Committee on Public Policy exists to monitor, educate and make recommendations to AHEAD members and the Board on matters pertaining to disability in a broad sphere that has direct relevance to higher education or is indirectly linked to higher education; develop or facilitate development of member resources specific to regulatory information; inform members and the Board on emerging issues in the legislative and regulatory spheres; provide guidance to the Board on areas where influence from the association is needed and assist with same.