AHEAD 2018 Call for Proposals General Information
Equity & Excellence: Access in Higher Education,
The 41st Conference of the Association on Higher Education And Disability
The Albuquerque Convention Center
Albuquerque, New Mexico
July 16-21, 2018
Call for Proposals
Submission Deadline: October 23, 2017
The Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) is pleased to announce its 41st international conference: Equity & Excellence: Access in Higher Education. The annual conference is the Association’s hallmark event, drawing approximately 1,500 participants from around the world with expertise in diverse fields such as education, technology, law, scholarship, and government. Disability resource and services managers, student affairs personnel, ADA coordinators, diversity officers, faculty, AT/IT staff, instructional personnel, students, and interested colleagues will converge for five days of learning and networking.
AHEAD enthusiastically seeks proposals that address the full inclusion of students with disabilities in all aspects of higher education. While all proposals will be seriously considered, proposals that view access barriers as resulting from environmental and system design and propose systemic solutions will be favored. Presentations from partnered colleagues from different campuses are highly encouraged.
Format and Audience
The Program Committee is committed to providing conference content for a wide diversity of participants, including the novice (new to the field), intermediate (some years of experience and skills), and highly experienced audiences. Several formats are available to fit a variety of topics:
- Preconference Institutes. Three preconference formats are available: half-day (3.25 hours), full-day (6.5 hours) and two-day (13 hours) presentations.
- Concurrent Sessions. Thirteen concurrent sessions are offered across eight different time frames. 60-90-minute sessions are available.
- Poster Sessions. Presenters display information and interact with approximately 500 conference participants.
- AHEAD Talks. Like TED Talks, 15-20 minute provocative, wide-ranging talks intended to enliven and inspire. Coaches are available.
Presenters must agree to the following:
- All presenters must register for the conference.
- All handouts and presentation support literature will be provided to AHEAD in accessible, electronic formats by June 25, 2018.
- All videos used at the conference must be captioned. Video captioning is the responsibility of the presenter, as is the cost of any necessary equipment related to its use.
- All visual aids used during a session must be verbally described.
- The Program Committee and AHEAD Staff may edit the proposed abstract, session length, and format for inclusion in conference materials.
Room Set Up and Audio Visual Equipment
- All presenters are responsible for bringing their own laptop or tablet to support their presentation and appropriate cables to connect to a VGA projector.
- Concurrent Session rooms are arranged in theater style (rows of chairs), with a head tabl
- Preconference rooms are set with round tables (6 people per table) to support discussion.
- AHEAD will equip each presentation room with:
- one (1) LCD projector with VGA connection, power supply, and presentation cart;
- one (1) projection screen appropriate to the room
- two (2) microphones and supporting equipment to facilitate appropriate amplification for the venue and assistive listening devices
- one (1) flipchart and pens, upon request only
- Poster presenters will be provided with one 4’ x 6’ bulletin board, a table for materials, and two chairs. Presenters may use their own battery-powered laptops, tablets, or netbooks as part of their presentations; however, electrical power and audiovisual equipment are not available.
- DEADLINE for Round One proposals: October 23, 2017
- A second round of proposals may be announced in late October to fill gaps recognized in program content. Round Two, if opened, will close no later than November 13, 2017.
- Notification of program status (accepted, waitlisted, denied) sent- February, 2018
- Presentation agreement returned by accepted presenters- March, 2018
- Accessible, electronic versions of PowerPoint, handouts, and other session materials sent to AHEAD- June 25, 2018