The AHEAD in Virginia Disability Student Scholarship is open to any student with a disability who attends a Virginia institution of higher education at which an employee is an Individual Member of AHEAD in Virginia OR the institution is an Institutional Member. The 2022 scholarship application is now closed, please visit this page in Spring 2023 for information about next year’s scholarship.
General Information and Eligibility
Purpose: The AHEAD in Virginia Scholarship is provided to acknowledge and support students with disabilities who are striving to earn a degree, overcoming challenges and serving their community.
- Enrolled in an accredited Virginia Institution of Higher Education at the time of application
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Dual-enrolled/high school students are not eligible
- Enrolled in a Certificate/Associate, Undergraduate or Graduate degree-seeking program of study
- Enrolled in at least three (3) credit hours for both Fall and Spring of the competition year
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- The student must be formally registered with their college or university disability office. The student is not required to be actively using services during the semester of application for scholarship.
- The institution where the student is enrolled must have at least one current member of AHEAD in Virginia for the competition year.
- Students may apply on an annual basis for the category (degree program) in which they are enrolled for that academic year: associate degree or less, undergraduate degree, or graduate degree program.
Awards: We anticipate awarding the following to students with disabilities attending a Virginia institution:
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to a student enrolled in a program leading to an associate degree or less at any 2-year, community, or technical/vocational college in Virginia.
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to an undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree at a private college or university in Virginia.
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to an undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a bachelor’s degree at a public college or university in Virginia.
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to a graduate student enrolled at any college or university in Virginia.