During FY 2010 the AHEAD Board of Directors, led by Michael Shuttic as President, evaluated new structures to broaden the impact of work done by and for the association, extend and deepen sustainable engagement both within and outside the association and overall to expand capacity of the organization. Following review of options, at the Spring 2010 full board meeting, five Standing Committees were approved:
Standing Committee on Diversity Chaired by Adam Crawford, The Ohio State University, email@example.com
- Download the Safe Space Word Cloud here
- Purpose and Initial Charge – In accordance with AHEAD’s definition of diversity (see: https://www.ahead.org/about/diversity), the Standing Committee on Diversity exists to develop awareness among members and the association in general about diversity in relation to all aspects of the association, its business, members and practices; to assess means through which the association is represented and inclusive of diversity; to foster inclusion of all members within the association equally and with equity; to ensure that association events and activities are inclusive and responsive to needs of diverse constituencies; to evaluate member resources for sensitivity; to provide members with resources to promote inclusive environments for all students in college and university communities but especially students with disabilities.
Standing Committee on Member Development Chaired by Marcelle Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose & Initial Charge – the Standing Committee on Member Development exists to evaluate means to expand the general membership of AHEAD; recommend new constituencies and vehicles to engage prospective members with the association; develop and recommend methods to incorporate international members and potential international members or groups into the fabric of AHEAD; recommend ways to promote upward career mechanisms for disability service professionals; and work to foster connections with and expansion of the AHEAD Affiliates Program. In addition to identifying member groups, this Standing Committee should address methods to mentor new members, evaluate and recommend resources needed by members collaborating with other Standing Committees on development of same, evaluate and recommend changes to the SIG structure, and other aspects of AHEAD’s functioning that intersect with all members or potential member groups. Visit the Standing Committee on Member Development page.
Standing Committee on Professional Development Chaired by Margaret Camp, email@example.com
- Purpose and Initial Charge – The Standing Committee on Professional Development exists to evaluate and develop/recommend means to address and foster professional competency of AHEAD members; review and recommend methodologies used for professional development; explore collaborative professional development offerings with other entities to include colleges and universities and other professional organizations; assess association resources used for dissemination of professional information and make recommendations as appear appropriate. This committee will function to augment, support and inform the work of the association’s staff member responsible for overseeing the direct implementation and management of all professional development initiatives. The committee will consult with and collaborate with other Standing Committees and the general Board of Directors to fulfill its mission. You can review the Standing Committee on Professional Development videos by visiting our video page here.
Standing Committee on Public Policy Chaired by Scott Lissner, Ohio State University, Lissner.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purpose and Initial Charge – The Standing Committee on Public Policy exists to monitor, educate and make recommendations to AHEAD members and the Board on matters pertaining to disability in a broad sphere that has direct relevance to higher education or is indirectly linked to higher education; develop or facilitate development of member resources specific to regulatory information; inform members and the Board on emerging issues in the legislative and regulatory spheres; provide guidance to the Board on areas where influence from the association is needed and assist with same.
Standing Committee on Technology Chaired by Bree Callahan, University of Washington, email@example.com
- Purpose and Initial Charge – The Standing Committee on Technology exists to continue and inform the work of the association that relates to all aspects of technology, from the way through which technology is used to conduct association business to the use of technology by individuals with disabilities and tools used by disability practitioners; address emerging issues in the use of different types of technology be it hardware or software; provide timely guidance documents to members on technology-related issues/equipment; review web resources and platforms used on www.ahead.org making recommendations as needed; function as an association “help desk” on aspects of technology, its use for professional responsibilities, and its use by people with disabilities.
Developed by Jean Ashmore, President BOD