NC-AHEAD Spring 2018 Conference:
Monday, March 12 at Forsyth Tech - 2100 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Thursday, October 18 and Friday, October 19 @ UNC - Chapel Hill
Awards/Scholarships 2018 – for attention of the current membership:
2018 Student Scholarships Date Due: Monday, February 12, 2018
NC AHEAD Student Scholarships Information
Three (3) undergraduate student scholarships ($500 each) are available. One scholarship will be awarded in each of the following categories:
- Private College: student enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor’s Degree at a private college or university in North Carolina.
- Public Institution: “The Jim Kessler Scholarship” a student enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor’s Degree at a public college or university in North Carolina.
- Community College: a student enrolled in degree or certificate program at a 2-year/community college in North Carolina.
The NC AHEAD Scholarship will be applied directly to the recipient’s tuition and will not be made available to be applied to books, living and/or other personal expenses.
- Applicant must be an undergraduate student with a disability registered with the disability services office on your campus.
- A disability services provider at your institution MUST be a member of NC AHEAD for the 2016-2017 academic year
- Applicants must have at least a 2.5 GPA
- Applicants are evaluated based on:
a) leadership and service to campus and/or community
b) academic achievement
c) well-articulated goals
(An unofficial transcript is required that verifies the cumulative GPA from the current institution from beginning of matriculation to the Spring 2018 semester)
*Please note students are only considered eligible if they are seeking a 2 year degree OR their first bachelor’s degree. Second bachelor degree seeking students are not eligible to receive this award
NC AHEAD is awarding a partial scholarship to the 2018 AHEAD Conference
The recipient will be awarded **$500 towards the 2018 AHEAD Conference registration which will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
**This is designed as a reimbursement process. The following will be required to receive reimbursement:
- conference registration form/receipt, and verification from AHEAD that the recipient attended the conference—
- a member of the NCAHEAD board will email AHEAD for formal verification of attendance after the
- conference concludes and maintain the email response as written verification. A recipient may choose to be
- reimbursed in stages or receive one lump reimbursement after the conference concludes.
Receipts should be submitted to NC AHEAD Treasurer, Christopher Stone, Director UNCW, 910-962-7555 firstname.lastname@example.org
The scholarship may not be transferred to another individual. Recipients who are unable to attend must contact Georgieann Bogdan at email@example.com 336-272-7102 ext. 5591
- Interested members must be able to attend the 2018 AHEAD Conference.
- The recipient must be a NC AHEAD member.
- The recipient must present at the Fall 2018 or Spring 2019 NC AHEAD conference on information gathered from the national conference.
- Failing to comply with one or more of the criteria may result in a recipient repaying any reimbursement to NCAHEAD.
NC AHEAD Award Information:
Two awards are given by NC-AHEAD to recognize individuals (one within the field and one outside the field) who have demonstrated a commitment our field. re due Friday, February 16, 2018 to: Georgieann Bogdan, Awards, Scholarships and Grants Committee Chair, NC AHEAD firstname.lastname@example.org
1. THE LAURA THOMAS AWARD:
The Laura Thomas Award was established by the NC AHEAD Executive Board in 1996 in memory of Laura L. D. Thomas, the Director of Disability Services at UNC- Chapel Hill for 17 years and one of the pioneers in disability services in the state of North Carolina. The award will recognize an outstanding individual OUTSIDE the field of disability services – someone who has demonstrated exemplary support of disability services within an academic setting or community, yet who is not a disability service provider; someone who has made our lives easier, and who may not realize the value of what they does.
Every NC AHEAD member is encouraged to nominate that someone on their campus or community. This can be an administrator, faculty or staff member within your institution, or other professional who has advanced the cause of college students with disabilities.
2. THE PAT BAILEY AWARD:
The Pat Bailey Award was established in 2007 by the NC Executive Board in honor of Dr. Pat Bailey, who was the Director of Disability Services at UNC-G for many years, and was the founding President of NC AHEAD. Dr. Bailey has been a visionary leader in the field of higher education and disabilities; advocating for access, disability awareness, social change, cultural competency and policy development on both the state and national level.
This award recognizes an individual IN THE FIELD with an outstanding history of contributions to NC AHEAD. This nominee has worked to further the rights, dignity and access for students with disabilities, and will be someone who has worked to provide students, faculty and staff a higher education experience rich in perspectives and opportunities. They will have demonstrated outstanding commitment to the value of diversity and has worked to promote an environment free from bias and discrimination.
The nominee will be someone who shares their vision and leadership with others in the field.
Nomination Information required for both of these awards:
Please submit your nomination letters by Friday, February 16, 2018 in the following format:
SECTION I. Nominator (Confidential)
Name and Title of Nominator
Contact Information for the Nominator
SECTION II. Nominee
Name and Title of Nominee
SECTION III. Letter of Nomination